Thursday, December 9, 2010

SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS FOR 2011

One of the things best i like about social media is sharing information. That is why i like to blog about interesting things i find on the internet and if i had a million years to do so it wouldn't be enough time! When i read an article or blog that evokes an emotion in me, i use that as my barometer for what to post about.

I came across a blog by Tom Laine of SocialMediocracy about an article he read in The Harvard Business Review, by David Armano. Mr. Armano compiled a list of 6 Social Media trends that he sees going big for 2011. Tom Laine adds his own list to David's list and so on and so forth. Interesting stuff, worth a read ... a bit techy for me and i'm pretty geeky - but, there is only so much info my little brain can handle. Which is why i chose to write this blog.

I hate using lol, but sometimes it really does hit the nail on the head. Mr. Laine summerizes the 6 Social Media trends that Mr. Armano lists in his blog and i am going to quote from the blog. I mean no disrespect to David Armano by not doing so from his original article, but I have alot to do today. In essence though, i am commenting on the true meaning of what he writes, not how he writes it.

When i read fourth down on the list of six - i LOL'd, yep, i said it and this is why. To quote Tom Laine's summary of #4.... " Social Media schizophrenia emerging when people have too many profiles and networks to maintain and follow". WOW ... that really evoked an emotion !!! I laughed because i could identify with that "feeling" of confusion i get when i have 5 or 6 of my windows open at the same time, flipping between one and the next, just to keep up on the conversations. I am in the business of social media so while that may seem like a lot of sites to be on at once - it's probably about average for us SM folks. There are times, i must admit, that i get a bit overwhelmed and forget to get dressed (if i don't have to meet with a client), eat or pick up my son from school - you know that sort of stuff. The best is when i'm on my PC and i have a window open to mobile Facebook (don't ask me why) and then get a response to a tweet on my cell phone. Shouldn't i be using my phone for mobile Facebook and if i have a window on my PC to Twitter as well, then why do i pick up my cell phone to reply back to the response i got to my tweet. Is this perhaps, " social media schizophrenia "? I dunno, i quess i'm going to have to wait until 2011 to find out.

No comments: